Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thoughts about YouTube

My kids are crazy about YouTube. My students are crazy about YouTube. My nieces and nephews are crazy about YouTube. I am not crazy about YouTube, but then I think it really is a generational thing. I DO appreciate YouTube and what it does, but I am not about to spend hours pursing its offerings.
Some things I DO like about YouTube are the following: my husband posts home movies on YouTube that are not available to the public. Our family has access--nobody else. He does this so that our daughter who is going to school in DC can see what all of her crazy siblings have been doing while she is gone. It is the "next best thing to being there." Between cell phones where we talk at least once a day and YouTube, she is as connected as can be considering all of the miles between all of us.
I also like some of the videos that are on YouTube that are about our "adopted" daughter, Sutton Foster. As a Tony winner and Broadway star, Sutton is very busy with her professional life. However, she is also overly humble. She doesn't tell us a whole lot about her accomplishments or public concerts. Our family will often search YouTube just to see what she has been doing in the professional world.
Another thing I like about YouTube is that my children will often show me things that they think are funny on YouTube. It is another way for us to stay connected. One of our favorites is a clip with Madonna. We aren't Madonna fans, but we LOVE this clip. The URL is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srrbvNNUKrA Check it out. It is great fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment